Pickled cabbage is more suitable for salads. Alas, you can't cook cabbage soup or hodgepodge with it, like with sauerkraut. But for a snack with a glass of "little white" marinated with spices, slightly piquant and juicy cabbage - that's it.
We offer a recipe for cooking, the result of which is an unusually juicy and aromatic cabbage that crunches amazingly on the teeth.
What you need:
• 2,5 kg of juicy white cabbage;
• 2 large sweet carrots;
For the marinade:
• 1 liter of drinking water;
• 1 medium head of garlic;
• 5 table. lies. vegetable oil;
• 110 ml of apple cider vinegar;
• 2 table. lies. top with coarse rock salt;
• 90 grams of sugar.
Cooking pickled cabbage
1. Chop the cabbage with a special shredder or a large knife, but thinly. Place in a bowl, add a couple of pinches of salt and remember with your fingers for half a minute (lightly) to let the cabbage release the juice.
2. Peel the carrots and chop both with a coarse grater. Transfer to the cabbage, mix thoroughly and marinade.
3. Peel the entire head of garlic first. Chop - with a knife, you do not need to push through a press. Heat water with sugar to a boil, add salt, stir.
4. Remove from the burner, while stirring add oil, apple cider vinegar, add garlic - and immediately pour into cabbage. Mix thoroughly with a clean wooden spatula.
5. Press the marinated cabbage with a plate or lid that is smaller than the bowl. Leave the appetizer in this form for a day right in the kitchen.
6. On the next day, put the pickled cabbage in glass jars and keep in the refrigerator under nylon lids.
7. Such pickled cabbage can be used to make, for example, a delicious crispy salad with onions and herbs.
Recipe tip: instead of chopped garlic, you can add grated horseradish root to cabbage, it will also add pungency and piquancy.